Where Hexen ends, the true nightmare begins...
Deathkings of the Dark Citadel picks up where Hexen left off. Having finally obtained the Chaos Sphere, you find yourself suddenly transported to the Realm of the Dead where the sphere is powerless. To escape this unholy, evil world and return to the land of the living, you must journey through a blighted wilderness and lay siege to the mighty Citadel of the Deathkings. In their destruction lies the only path to true freedom.
This expansion pack contains 20 new levels spanning across 3 different Hubs, picking up after the defeat of Korax. The final level features a boss battle against waves of monsters and The Deathkings. These levels are slightly more difficult than those of the original game.
There are 6 additional Deathmatch levels as well, all connected within a Hub.
Aside from this, there are no new monsters, weapons, or other gameplay changes.
Notes & Trivia
- Upon it's release, this expansion did not include (or even enable) music, but was restored using a later patch.
- As with the original game, the MAPINFO lump for Deathkings contains reference to a map that doesn't exist in the final game, though in this case it's far less interesting; simply an entry for a map named "test".
- In Hexen, Ettins would randomly respawn at intervals while the player is in a given level. In Deathkings, however, other types of monsters also respawn.
- Flechettes are in shorter supply. On the other hand, some other artifacts (Dark Servant, Porkelator, Krater of Might) are no longer subject to the "use them or lose them" rule which made the player lose all but one of each of them when he proceeded to the next hub in the original Hexen.
- Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on The Doom Wiki
- Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on DoomWiki.org
- Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on RavenSoft
- Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on MobyGames
- Purchase Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on Steam
|Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - Hubs & Levels|
| Hub 1 |
|Blight • Badlands • Brackenwood • Catacomb • Sump • Pyre|
| Hub 2 |
|Constable's Gate • Market Place • Ordeal • Locus Requiescat • Treasury • Armory|
| Hub 3 |
|Nave • Chantry • Dark Watch • Cloaca • Abattoir • Ice Hold|
| Deathmatch Hub |
|Transit • Over N Under • Deathfog • Castle of Pain • Sewer Pit • The Rose|
|Hexen - Enemies|
|Normal||Afrit • Ettin • Centaur • Slaughtaur • Chaos Serpent • Stalker • Wendigo • Dark Bishop • Reiver • Pig|
|Boss||Death Wyvern • Heresiarch • Zedek • Menelkir • Traductus • Korax|
|Hexen - Weapons & Artifacts|
|Weapons||Fighter||Spiked Gauntlets • Timon's Axe • Hammer of Retribution • Quietus|
|Cleric||Mace of Contrition • Serpent Staff • Firestorm • Wraithverge|
|Mage||Sapphire Wand • Frost Shards • Arc of Death • Bloodscourge|
|Ammunition||Mana ( Blue • Green • Combined )|
|Healing||Crystal Vial • Quartz Flask • Mystic Urn|
|Armor||Mesh Armor • Falcon Shield • Amulet of Warding • Platinum Helm|
|Artifacts|| Torch • Dragonskin Bracers • Boots of Speed • Krater of Might • Mystic Ambit Incant • Wings of Wrath •|
Disc of Repulsion • Chaos Device • Banishment Device • Flechette • Icon of the Defender • Dark Servant •
Porkelator • Golden Egg
|Hexen - Keys & Puzzle Artifacts|
|Keys|| Emerald Key • Silver Key • Steel Key • Fire Key • Horn Key • Cave Key • Swamp Key • Castle Key • Rusty Key •|
Dungeon Key • Axe Key
|Artifacts|| Flame Mask • Heart of D'Sparil • Planet Gemstones • Clock Gears • Daemon Codex • Liber Oscura • Yorick’s Skull •|
Glaive Seal • Holy Relic • Sigil of the Magus